Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please forward it to a friend if you like it.
We’ve been a little under the weather this week
photo by Kirby Feagan
Cool Picks for the Week
March is Women’s History Month. As Gerda Lerner said, the premier and essentially founding women’s historian said, “Women’s History is the first step to Women’s Emancipation.”
- Public Forum for College President Candidates: Over five days meet the five candidates for president of the college.
Raúl Rodríguez, PhD at 2pm Fri. Mar. 1
Kim E Armstrong, PhD at 2 pm Mon. Mar. 4
Kimberlee S Messina, PhD at 2 pm Thurs. Mar. 7
Rebecca K (Becky) Rowley, PhD at 2 pm Mon. Mar 11
Rey Rivera, PhD at 2 pm Tues. Mar. 12
Santa Fe Community College, 6401 Richards Ave.
- Santa Fe Restaurant Week continues – Featuring three-course meals at a fraction of the cost. Restaurants will be offering prix-fixe dinners for ＄15, ＄25, ＄35, or ＄45 per person, depending upon the restaurant. Many will offer value-priced lunches as well. Now thru Mar. 3 at various locations. Click here for details.
- Inspired by the Ancients – Donna Sherry Boggins presents historical interpretations of gourd vessels created for use by medicine men and holy men and women. Fri, Mar 1 from 4 – 6pm Vista Grande Public Library, 14 Avenida Torreon, Eldorado
- Spring into Motion, an evening of dance performed by NDI New Mexico’s most advanced dancers, “Spring Into Motion!” Fri. & Sat., Mar. 1-2 at 7 pm, & Sun., Mar. 3 at 2 pm, at The Dance Barns, 1140 Alto St. Click here for tickets $10/$15.
- Greater Eldorado Garden Fair – Learn from gardening experts and organizations how to master this environment and maximize its beauty. Sat, Mar 2 from 10am – 2pm Eldorado Community Center, 1 Hacienda Loop, Eldorado
- Free First Sunday at Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian – Get free admission all day—the perfect opportunity to check out Old Man Looking Backward by Bob Haozous (Warm Springs Chiricahua Apache). The artist is best known for monumental sculpture, but he works in other media as well. Sun, Mar 3
10am – 5pm Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian 704 Camino Lejo
- Making History: Windmills – Learn more about wind power in New Mexico with scientist Rich Strittmatter & master the basic technology of windmills. Make your own model to take home. Sun, Mar 3 from 1:30 – 3:30pm Free with museum admission & New Mexicans are free the first Sunday of every month. New Mexico History Museum, 113 Lincoln Ave.
- Culture Day at the Roundhouse -A collection of New Mexico’s cultural organizations and museums exhibit aspects of the state’s diverse landscape such as carding, spinning & weaving wool, while the New Mexico Arts staff provides books, CDs & posters from its traditional folk arts & poetry programs. Mon, Mar 4
8am – 2:30pm New Mexico State Capitol Roundhouse
490 Old Santa Fe Trail.
- The search for Ms Senior New Mexico 2019 is on. Is there a crown in your future? Become a contestant! Requirements: 60 years + Talent and Inner Beauty!! Make a difference in the lives of others by shining brightly and following your dreams proving that age is just a number. Deadline to enter is May 1st with Pageant to be held in August. Winner earns the right to represent New Mexico in The Ms Senior America Pageant in the fall of 2019, Atlantic City NJ. If you are interested or know someone who is please contact Julie Salomon 469-816-6839 or email her here.
- Community Palliative Care of Northern New Mexico is offering a weekend of free training for volunteers Fri. Mar. 1 – Sun. Mar. 3. Learn how to provide practical & emotional in-home support to someone who is coping with a life-limiting illness. www.cpcnnm.org Call Deb at 505-438-0895 or Treva 505-629-5743.
Volunteers needed for 2019 STEM Santa Fe Julia Robinson Mathematics Festival
Fri. Mar. 15 at Santa Fe Community College. No previous math major needed. Just a love for learning, mentoring and math. To sign up: https://tinyurl.com/2019JRMF-Santa-Fe-Volunteers
Cool Creative Workshops, Classes & Coaching
- Soul Craft – An Online Writing Workshop for Life, Business & Inspiration
If you want a more engaged life, a more successful business, or to become a more inspired (and inspiring) version of yourself…WRITE! Award-winning author and writing coach Kelly Madrone is offering a new online group designed to hone your writing skills and connect you with your undiscovered passion. It launches March 13 and there are just a few spots left! www.kellymadrone.com/write-now.
- Using Encaustic Wax With Photographs – NEW Workshops with Angel Wynn
Create beautiful art work using encaustic paints & photographs. Instructor, Angel Wynn, is a long time photographer & encaustic artist who shares a variety of techniques. Classes are designed for all levels. Bring your own photographs or choose from a stack available during workshop. Classes are held at 7 Arts Gallery, 125 Lincoln Ave. Workshop Dates:
Mar. 4, Half Day 10am-1pm OR Full Day, 10am-4pm: 1 spot left
Mar. 5, Full Day, 10am-4pm: 2 spots left
Mar. 18, Half Day, 2-5pm: 1 spot left
Mar. 25, Half Day, 12-3pm: 2 spots left
Apr. 13, Half Day, 1-4pm: 2 spots left
Contact Angel Wynn 505-819-1103 or email for more info.
P.S. This is a sponsored section. If you’re interested in running an ad here let me know.
(Another) Cool Blog
Congrats to CancerRoadTrip for a Gold Award in Health and Wellness Travel from the North American Travel Journalist Association!
CancerRoadTrip is an ongoing docuseries that brings together leaders in mind/body medicine with cancer patients in amazing locations throughout the world. Using travel, food and personal stories, CancerRoadTrip explores the experience of healing from cancer as a pivot point into a deeper and more meaningful approach to life, wellness and happiness.
You can follow Cancer Road Trip at www.CancerRoadTrip.com and @CancerRoadTrip on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
If you have something you want to post to the Cool List regarding a non-profit in Santa Fe Email me & I’ll be happy to share for free. If you have something you’d like to post regarding your for-profit business, service or event, I’ll be happy to share for a small fee. Email me for details.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!