Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please forward it to a friend if you like it.
photo courtesy of Sarah Lovett
Cool Picks for the Week
- Hail, Hail Rock ‘n’ Roll: Happy 50th, Woodstock! Combing an outstanding selection of classic rock portraits with an exhibition featuring the historic images and memorabilia of Woodstock 1969, paying tribute to a pivotal era in American music and culture. The exhibition includes iconic portraits and moments by Santa Fe locals Lisa Law and Baron Wolman, along with scenes from the three-day weekend by Henry Diltz, Jim Marshall, Roger Ballen and Jason Lauré. Enjoy a trip “back to the garden” with images of Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, CSN, Santana, John Sebastian, “Country Joe” McDonald, Jefferson Airplane, Richie Havens and more, along with intimate moments of the crowd and the community that hosted 400,000 strong. Edition One Gallery Fri, July 5 at 5pm. Runs thru Aug. 9 at 728 Canyon Rd.
- Lexus of Santa Fe Pet Adoptions – Pet food drive and adoption event to benefit the Santa Fe Animal Shelter. Any time through July 6, stop by Lexus to drop off Purina brand dry and canned food for dogs, and Friskies and Fancy Feast canned cat foods. Sat. July 6 from 12 – 3:00pm is Pet Adoption Day. Lexus of Santa Fe, 6824 Cerrillos Rd.
- Fun with the Sun – Play with light, colors and solar radiation. Experiment with heliographic prints, make a photochromic bracelet with beads that change color in the sun, and more. Bring your own pre-washed white canvas shoes or a T-shirt. Space is limited, so RSVP at email@example.com. Free with museum admission, and New Mexicans are free the first Sunday of every month. New Mexico History Museum $6 – $12 Sun, July 7 1:30 – 3:30 pm 113 Lincoln Ave.
- Opera Book Club: Charles Jessold, Considered as a Murderer – Collected Works and the Santa Fe Opera Guild present Vivace, a book group devoted to readings about the world of opera. In Wesley Stace’s novel, Leslie Shepherd, a music critic nearing the end of his life, reflects on the shocking murder-suicide that rocked London society years before, and strangely echoes the plot of his opera—which Shepherd has helped to write. The opera will never be performed. Collected Works Bookstore and Coffeehouse Mon, July 8 at 6pm, 202 Galisteo St.
- RAP Community Poetry Class – Join an ongoing craft workshop and conversation that culminates in a public reading in the Railyard Park, as well as a chapbook in the fall. The first half of class is be dedicated to reading and discussing contemporary poems, with each class focused on one of many aspects of craft (voice, tone, structure, style and so forth)—bring a journal. The second half of class is a workshop, where individuals can bring copies of their own poems for peer review, followed by an open discussion and constructive feedback from the class. RSVP or get more info from instructor Elizabeth Jacobson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Railyard Park Community Room Tue, July 9 from 5:30 – 7pm 701 Callejon St.
- Santa Fe Women to Women’s A Luncheon with Valerie Plame, former career covert CIA operations officer “outed” by the Bush Administration, international speaker, author & advocate for the elimination of nuclear weapons. She is also a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in New Mexico’s 3rd Congressional District in the upcoming 2020 election. Her talk: My Life as a Spy, My betrayal by the White House. Wed. July 10 at noon at Inn of Loretto. Tickets must be purchased by July 8. Click here.
- Music on the Hill: Ron Crowder Band Bring a blanket and a picnic for rock ‘n’ roll from beloved locals. Thanks to a partnership with the City of Santa Fe, attendees can take a shuttle from the PERA Building (413 Old Santa Fe Trail) parking lot to the field. Service is offered by the Santa Fe Pick-Up, which extends its hours until 8:30 pm tonight. St. John’s College Wed, July 10 at 6pm, 1160 Camino Cruz Blanca
Upcoming Cool Stuff
- Art Spa Workshops! Expand your life journey with creativity, nutrition and relaxation in one of our unique workshops located in the hills of Santa Fe, NM. Inspire and renew your creative spirit! Join us for quiet but fun, exciting but restful artistic wonderment through art classes and culinary demonstrations. Take a creative journey while Arizona chef, Christine Hauber tantalizes your taste buds with healthy and easy culinary demonstrations, and hands on food creation and consumption. Upcoming July workshops: Mixed Media – Painted Papers, The Interaction of Texture, Color and Feeling. July 10-12. 9-5pm and Inspired Enameling: The Ancient Art of Melting Glass on Metal. July 25-26. 9am-5pm . Just a few spots remain in these two fun workshops. For information and registration and other upcoming workshops visit Art Spa Workshops.
- Write To Heal: A FREE writing workshop based on (but not limited by) the life-changing diagnosis of cancer Seven Tuesdays: July 23 thru Sept 3. 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. The intent of this group for cancer patients and survivors is to experience “Expressive Writing” as a way of healing. While writing may not cure, it can heal, according to scientific studies. Writing with others on parallel paths will be our avenue to reclaim our voices, and reconnect with our lives. Everyone is welcome: if you have never written, or if you have always written. Joanne Fay Brown, MSW, has led Amherst Writers & Artists workshops in Berkeley, Oaxaca, Mexico, and Santa Fe. She is a cancer survivor and a Master in Social Work. Registration is required and space is limited. To Register: Please contact Joanne Brown: 510-381-1205 or email@example.com We will meet at the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico office: 3005 S. St. Francis Dr., Suite 3-B
If you have something you want to post to the Cool List regarding a non-profit in Santa Fe Email me & I’ll be happy to share for free. If you have something you’d like to post regarding your for-profit business, service or event, I’ll be happy to share for a small fee. Email me for details.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!