Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please forward it to a friend if you like it.
Cheri O’Brien Fine Art gallery hosts an eclectic group of talented artists who dabble with skeletons, create scamps and a scallywag or two. Artwork inspired by Dia de los Muertos, the celebration of death and life. Artists joining Ms. O’Brien are Jennie Cooley, Holly Wood, Kathleen O’Neil, Lisbeth Cort, Wendy Foster and Larry D. Blissett. 618 Canyon Road down Canyon Alley. Show runs through Nov. 12
More Cool Art
3 Artists @natasha SANTA FE – Leah Siegel: Using older photographs to create a different body of work — obscured, murky and stained with a blood-reddish tone. Joseph Griffo: plaster castings, using graphite and alcohol emulsions to create ancient looking textures, fine etched detail and mysterious markings. Zoe Viles – photographs of traces in sand left when the tide recedes – a rhythmic, relaxed.
Cool Picks for the Week
- Mark Your Calendars for our next 100 Women Who Care meeting, Wed. Nov. 7th at 6pm (arrive early to sign in) at the Scottish Rite Temple. If you’d like a tour of the temple come at 5pm. Invite a friend!
- Mayor Webber signed a Proclamation recognizing October as Domestic Violence Awareness month in Santa Fe. For more info about the proclamation, contact Dr. JoAnne Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Mexico School for the Arts is proud to present the comedy “You Can’t Take IT With You” Fri. Oct. 26th and Sat. Oct. 27th at 7pm. Tickets $10.00 for adults & $5.00 for students – available at the door. 275 E. Alameda Street
- Comedy Show & Improve – A Quinn Fontaine Experience, with Bella Gigante, Special Guest Hostess with the Mostess. Featuring: Lisanne Cole, Quinn Fontaine, Catherine Lynch, Craig Thomas McAdams, Susan Mele & Peter Sills. 7:30pm Fri. Oct. 26 at CENTER STAGE 505 Camino De Los Marquez
- Creative Adventures in the Community – Solace Crisis Treatment Center’s 46th Anniversary Celebration. Wear your favorite team jersey. Bring your grill. Pony rides for kids. Speed Silent Auction. Concessions open. Sat. Oct. 27 from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. at the Santa Fe Rodeo Grounds
- Dia de los Muertos Mariachi Benefit Concert – Traditional Mexican music by Lone Piñon, dance performances by Ballet Folklorico de Santa Fe, and mariachi music by Mariachi Sonidos Del Monte. All ticket sales benefit the Playschool of the Arts, dedicated to the development of young children ages 2 to 4. Lensic Performing Arts Center, $20 – $40, Sun, Oct 28 at 2:pm
- Dia de los Muertos Public Celebration – Decorate sugar skulls (calaveras de azure), make paper altars (nichos) and experience calavera face painting. Sample traditional Mexican treats and listen to Los Flores del Valle musical performance. Come dressed as a calaca (skeleton). Bring flowers, candles and/or a memento to add to our community altar. Museum of International Folk Art, 706 Camino Lejo, Sun, Oct 28, 1- 4pm
- Haunted Jemez – Cañon resident Sharon Chism’s roughly half-acre of private property features several spooky scenes outdoors—take a walk around and check out almost two dozen animated and non animated creatures on a circular path. There’s a Western scene, English graveyard, witch’s tea party, werewolves, zombies, Hearse, caskets, mausoleum and plenty more. It’s located on Highway 485—that’s on the way to the Gilman Tunnels, for those who like to take mini-road trips to cool Northern New Mexico destinations. Once you turn off Highway 4 to get on Highway 485, drive about 3 miles until you see a line of pumpkins near a graveyard on the right, and you’ve made it. For Halloween, Chism offers hot dogs, chips, drinks and s’mores around a campfire. Of course, candy will be handed out to all the trick or treaters. Wed, Oct 31, 10am – 10pm
- Fundraiser for Coming Home Connection: Food, drinks, silent auction, film screening & mariachi singers Thurs. 11/1 from 5:30 – 8pm $35. 505-988-2468
Cool Halloween Treat
Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats – recipe here
If you have something you want to post to the Cool List regarding a non-profit in Santa Fe Email me & I’ll be happy to share for free. If you have something you’d like to post regarding your for-profit business, service or event, I’ll be happy to share for a small fee. Email me for details.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!