Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please forward it to a friend if you like it.
Cool Picks for the Week
- Adelante Winter Fundraiser – The Santa Fe Public Schools’ Adelante Program for disadvantaged and homeless youth hosts great Latin music from Nosotros, an arts and crafts fair, silent auction, raffle, ugly sweater contest, and a special flight of winter-warmer brews. All proceeds will be used to support students and families experiencing homelessness. Tumbleroot Brewery & Distillery, $10 – $20, Fri, Dec 7 from 6 – 9pm
- Santa Fe Women’s Ensemble: Songs of Hope and Light – brings together music inspired by overriding Emily Dickinson’s poem “Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul.” In addition, they perform beloved Christmas carols from all over the world, as well as non-religious about hope persisting in winter, to provide a total expression of Dec. Loretto Chapel, $10 – $35, Fri, Dec 7 at 6:30pm – tix here
- Mandala Construction Opening Ceremony – The monks of Drepung Loseling Monastery construct a sand mandala by pouring colored sand into place over a period of nine days. They are creating a Green Tara, who is called upon for protection, health, happiness, wisdom, abundance and success, and is the female manifestation of enlightenment. Their work concludes with a closing ceremony and destruction of the mandala on Dec. 16. Institute of American Indian Arts, 83 Avan Nu Po Road, Sat, Dec 8 at 10am
- Los Alamos WinterFest – Head northward for a family-oriented holiday event featuring a bunch of fun stuff: North Pole Workshop, Breakfast with Santa; the Fuller Lodge Open House, the Earth Treasure Show, Main Street Holiday Lights Parade and the tree lighting at Ashley Pond. Sat. & Sun. Dec, 8 & 9 Get the full schedule at LosAlamosMainStreet.com/Events/WinterFest.
- New Mexico Children’s Foundation Holiday Tea – Two seatings (11 am and 2 pm) provide ample opportunity to enjoy a relaxing tea before the holiday rush. Tea sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, sweets and tea or coffee are all on offer. Hats and gloves are optional (if you want to be extra posh), and men are encouraged to attend. Proceeds benefit the New Mexico Children’s Foundation. Hotel St. Francis, $60 Sat, Dec 8
- Kindred Spirits Animal Sanctuary Holiday Party -KSAS is dedicated to providing end-of-life care and hospice for older, unwanted dogs, horses, and poultry in a peaceful and serene sanctuary setting. Tour the sanctuary and visit with our senior animals; take part in a meditation and traditional candle lighting. Enjoy vegan refreshments and hot cider. Bring a friend; the sanctuary’s senior dogs will greet you with happy smiles and wagging tails. 3749-A Hwy. 14, Sat, Dec 8 from 3:30 – 6:30pm
- The next CASA First Judicial Volunteer Advocate Training is in January – Get in touch if you are interested in becoming a volunteer to help break the cycle of abuse and neglect in our communities.
Light Among the Ruins – More than 1,500 farolitos light up the Giusewa Pueblo and San Jose de los Jemez Mission ruins in Jemez in what may be the most beautiful event in New Mexico all season. Bundle up, arrive early (it gets crowded), stroll the grounds, enjoy Native dances and music around bonfires, get some hot chocolate and shop an artisans market. The Jemez Valley High School band performs intermittently as well. Judging by how popular this has been in years past, the site is now staggering admission times, so get your entry-specific ticket ASAP. Jemez Historic Site, $5 – $10, Sat, Dec 8 from 5 – 9pm – tix here
Holiday Fashion Show
Make your reservations early email or call 505-982-0883
More Holiday Cheer
If you have something you want to post to the Cool List regarding a non-profit in Santa Fe Email me & I’ll be happy to share for free. If you have something you’d like to post regarding your for-profit business, service or event, I’ll be happy to share for a small fee. Email me for details.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!