Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please forward it to a friend if you like it.
Cool Picks for the Week
- International Folk Art Market – Museum Hill, 20 – $85 Sat, July 13 & Sun. July 14
10am – 5pm
- Lavender in the Valley Festival – Enjoy crafts, tours, artists, good food, music and—naturally—lots of lavender, all up in the picturesque village of Abiquiú Sat. July 13 & Sun. July 14. This year also has a special Mardi Gras theme, so get ready for Cajun cooking and New Orleans-style jazz tunes from the Shiners Club Jazz Band. To get there, look for purple flags along Highway 84. (Kids under 10 get in free, and sorry—no dogs allowed.) 10am – 5pm Road 1622 Between Mile Markers 210 and 211, Abiquiu.
- Guided Tours to High-Road Mission Churches – Start at the Santuario de Chimayó and travel to the historic churches in Córdova, Truchas, and Las Trampas; guided by Frank Graziano. Sat, July 13 at 11am Presented by Nuevo Mexico Profundo, an ambitious collaborative project between governmental organizations and communities to preserve Northern New Mexico’s historic churches. For more info: nuevo-mexico-profundo.com. $25 Additional tours will be added to meet the demand, so don’t be afraid to sign up. Group inquiries are welcome, too.
- Susana Valadez: The Huichol Center for Cultural Survival – Valadez, a Nobel Peace Prize nominee, offers a talk and presentation about the work she has been doing over the past 40 years with the Huichol Indians of Mexico. Xanadu Gallery Sat, July 13 at 4pm. Valadez and the artisans who will accompany her will be at the gallery through July 21, showcasing and selling their artwork; 100% of the sale proceeds goes to Susana’s foundation, The Huichol Center for Cultural Survival, so that they may continue with all of their good work. Xanadu Gallery 135 W. Palace Ave.
- Glorieta Rock Art Tour – Join the Santa Fe National Forest’s Site Stewards to explore two unusual horizontal rock art panels on Glorieta Mesa Wed, July 17
9am. The petroglyphs are unique in both design and location and are easily accessible, but the trip will require carpooling in high-clearance vehicles. Bring sunscreen, snacks, water and closed-toe shoes. Register in advance by phone 505-757-6121. Petroglyph creators were storytellers; sign up to find out what their images tell us about them and the times in which they lived. Santa Fe National Forest Pecos Ranger Station 32 S Main St., Pecos.
- Music on the Hill – free summer concert series on the campus of St. John’s College in Santa Fe that features blues, classic rock, world music, & jazz. Wed. July 17 at 6pm features Cha Wa – a New Orleans brass band-meets-Mardi Gras Indian, nominated for a Grammy award for Best Regional Roots.
- Get Your Tickets to SITE Santa Fe’s Opera Ball & Dance Party. A pop-up ballroom, where classical waltzes will begin the evening on Fri. July 19, giving way to your favorite dance music! Special surprises & happenings throughout the evening. Many of the Bel Canto artists will be in attendance. Click here for tickets.
- Lamy Woodstock Benefit is Looking for Sponsors. In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock, there will be 2 days of live tunes from the Woodstock era covered by over 30 local musicians in support of a great cause for kids – a benefit for the new non-profit: Child Counseling Center & Play Therapy Institute of New Mexico. The event will be Aug. 17 & Aug. 18. The different levels of sponsorship can be found on the website. For more info call 505-398 -1982 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patina Gallery is proud to introduce their latest exhibition, Unearthing New European Makers for 2019. Opening Fri, July 12 from 5-7pm.
In March of 2019, Patina co-owners and curators, Allison & Ivan Barnett, traveled to Europe to attend the Munich Jewellery Week. In Patina’s 20th year, they were on a quest to discover new, global talent for the gallery.
To their astonishment, they returned to Santa Fe with 12 new, European makers. Now, Patina introduces a rich colloquy of works. Mastering a range of material and technique, our discoveries possess the brilliance beholden to the diverse array of artists who made them so. Together, they create a compelling collection of art jewelry to stir our fascination.Join us as Allison & Ivan bring to you a compelling exposé of contemporary jewels, eager to become your latest obsession. Patina Gallery, 131 W Palace Ave.
- Kiss of the Wolf Trunk Show & Folk Art Market Celebration
Designer Lori Bacigalupi brings her beautiful designs inspired by travel to Santa Fe Weaving Gallery for a trunk show, Fri. July 12 from 10am – 5pm at 124-1/2 Galisteo St.
- La Tienda Summer Special Event – Glassware & China, Home Decor & Textiles
Saturdays from 9am – 3pm, Private Showings by Appointment 505.986.8664 at Casa Culinaria The Gourmet Inn 617 Don Gaspar Ave.
If you have something you want to post to the Cool List regarding a non-profit in Santa Fe Email me & I’ll be happy to share for free. If you have something you’d like to post regarding your for-profit business, service or event, I’ll be happy to share for a small fee. Email me for details.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!