Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please forward it to a friend if you like it.
Cool Picks for the Week
- Want to be a Garden Docent? Attend the volunteer meeting and discover what becoming a garden docent entails, how we work with children and youth in the community, how you can help in the garden shop and much more. Snacks and refreshments and talk with current volunteers about how you can become part of their volunteer community. Stewart Udall Center 725 Camino Lejo Sat, Jan 26 from 1-3 pm.
- Santa Fe-based African Artist Issa Nyaphaga will paint his body to perform Urban Way at exhibit of his work. Reception Sat. Jan. 26 from 4:30-7:30, Free; Urban Way Performance: 5:20 pm, suggested donation $20/$10 students to benefit West African radio station. Art On Barcelona Gallery at Unitarian-Universalist Santa Fe, 107 W. Barcelona.
- The Life Link hosts its first-ever fundraising gala and silent auction. Since its inception, The Life Link has been helping hungry, homeless and displaced people and families achieve self-sufficiency through emergency assistance, housing, employment services and other supportive programs, including advanced addiction and mental health treatment services. This gala will celebrate Carol Luna-Anderson, founder and executive director of The Life Link for 32 years, and all proceeds go the The Life Link’s programs and services; plus, a portion of the money raised will go back into the member art program as it works to formalize a recovery-based, self-sustaining artists guild. The Lodge at Santa Fe, 750 N St. Francis Drive, $150, Sat. Jan. 26 at 5pm.
- Fearless Female Voices presented by Blue Raven Theatre featuring 11 short new plays by Santa Fe’s female playwrights – in honor of International Women’s Voices Day. Each playwright will present a 15 minute play, either a short drama or excerpt from a longer piece. Professional actors will bring their plays to life in these staged readings. Sun. Jan, 27 at 1:00 pm, suggested donation – $10, under 21 – free. Please contact Talia Pura for details: 505.428.8508, or email@example.com.Warehouse 21 at 1614 Paseo de Peralta
- Re-Create Your Life & Livelihood with Mindfulness presentation by The Transition Network. Author, coach, and meditation teacher Maia Duerr will share the 6 Keys to Liberation-based Livelihood and how they can transform your life. Mon. Jan. 28 from 5:45-7:30 pm at Montezuma Lodge, 431 Paseo de Peralta. Women 50 and forward welcome. Refreshments served. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. $5.00 suggested donation.
- Santa Fe Chapter of the Awesome Foundation is accepting grant applications.You could win a $1,000 grant to turn your awesome community project into an awesome reality! Open to Individuals or groups. Deadline February 1. Apply here: http://www.awesomefoundation.org/en/chapters/santafe Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Next Meeting for 100 Women Who Care in Santa Fe is Wed. Feb. 6 at Scottish Rite Temple. You can come as a guest or members, you can bring a guest. For more info click here.
- Thanks to all who attended Santa Fe Women to Women Luncheon with guest speaker, Dr. Susan Oupadia, Retired Anatomic and Clinical Pathologist on a Journey of Life talking about From Pathology to Peace Corps – A Journey Into and Out of Retirement. Mark Your Calendars for our Next Luncheon, Wed. Feb. 27 at noon at Cowgirl with guest speaker Abby Bordner, a speaker and consultant regarding the brain science of early childhood talking about Why Early Childhood Education Matters to Everyone. RSVP early! $25 at the door.
- Living Juicy! a monthly 30 minute radio show broadcasts the last Thursday of each month on KSFR 101.1 FM in Santa Fe. Living Juicy! also has a website livingjuicy.org with over 280 podcasts available & is free to download. Rhea Goodman, the host, talks with creative people whose innovative journeys entertain, inform, and enlighten. Living Juicy! acts as a catalyst for transformative change.
Gun Violence is Not Cool
New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence is working on three bills for the 2019 legislative session. Please call and email all committee members. Our elected officials need to know that the time is NOW to pass gun violence prevention bills.
- HB87 would prohibit domestic violence offenders under protective orders from possessing firearms .
- HB130 is a child access prevention bill. This is a youth driven bill by teenagers in our group. It would hold gun owners liable if their firearm gets in the hands of a minor and that minor hurts him or herself or someone else.
- HB129 This bill would tighten our criminal code so that only security guards can carry firearms at school and not teachers.
Here are the contact numbers for the committee:
Representative Liz Thompson (D):
- Phone: (505) 239-1781
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative Andrea Romero (D)
- Office Phone: (505) 490-6155
- Email: email@example.com
Representative Candy Spence Ezzell (R)
- Home Phone: (575) 625-0550
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative Angelica Rubio (D)
- Office Phone: (575) 616-1090
- Home Phone:
- Email: email@example.com
Representative Gregg Schmedes (R)
- Home Phone: (505) 506-6725
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
P.S. This is a sponsored section. If you’re interested in running an ad here let me know.
If you have something you want to post to the Cool List regarding a non-profit in Santa Fe Email me & I’ll be happy to share for free. If you have something you’d like to post regarding your for-profit business, service or event, I’ll be happy to share for a small fee. Email me for details.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!