Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please forward it to a friend if you like it.
Mother Nature is So Cool
Cool Picks for the Week
- Fixit Clinic – Bring your broken electronics, appliances, toys and so on for assessment, disassembly and possible repair. Santa Fe County and Make Santa Fe provide workspace, tools, and guidance by specialists. Whether you fix it or not, you’ll learn more about how it was manufactured and how it worked, ready to share your new-found confidence and insight with your friends, neighbors, and the community at large. MAKE Santa Fe, 2879 All Trades Road, Sat, Feb 2 from 1 – 4pm
- Um… It’s an Art Show! Drop-In Art Workshop – View the exhibition and work with Unlocked Minds, Inc.’s lead teaching artists on a variety of kid-friendly projects. You can leave your creation behind to be exhibited or take it home for your very own. Santa Fe Community Convention Center, 201 W Marcy St. Sat, Feb 2 from 12 – 4pm. Free.
- Journeysantafe: Paul Gibson, of Retake Our Democracy, takes a look at the most important bills in the current legislative session. Retake Our Democracy is a volunteer-based organization committed to making personal and collective activism easier. Collected Works Bookstore and Coffeehouse, 202 Galisteo St.
Sun, Feb 3 at 11am
- Family Mornings at Folk Art – Storytime Sun, Feb 3 from 11am – 12pm. After storytime, younger children can make their own beaded necklace, and older children make Huichol-inspired beaded bowls. Then do a family treasure hunt to find horses, or explore the last day of the Beadwork Adorns the World exhibit. Free with museum admission, and New Mexico residents get in for free Sun. Feb. 3. Museum of International Folk Art, 706 Camino Lejo,
- Tax-Aide Santa Fe – SFCC and the AARP have teamed up to offer free (!) help taking care of your taxes. NOTE: This year, you must make an appointment. Call 505-946-3615 or visit sfcc.edu/taxaide to reserve a time. There are some qualifications, and a list of everything you need; get more info when you sign up for a slot. SFCC accounting students who were trained specifically for the service will be among the volunteers available. Higher Education Building, 1950 Siringo Road, Mon., Feb. 4
8am – 4pm
- Next Meeting for 100 Women Who Care in Santa Fe is Wed. Feb. 6th at Scottish Rite Temple from 6 – 7 pm. The organizers put the names of local nonprofits in a hat and draw out three then hears a short presentation from each, and then votes; to whichever receives the most votes, every attendee writes a check and raises over $10,000 in one hour. Sounds insane and actually works! Join as an individual for $100 each time, or as a group ($50 for a two-team or $25 for a four-team). But wait, it doesn’t end there: The second-place winner receives money from the members not in attendance (approximately $8,000), and the third-place winner receives money from business sponsors ($1,500). In total, over $20,000 is raised at each meeting. You can come as a guest or members, you can bring a guest. For more info click here. If you’d like a tour of the Scottish Rite Temple, come at 5pm.
- Mark Your Calendars for our Next Women to Women Luncheon, Wed. Feb. 27 at noon at Cowgirl with guest speaker Abby Bordner, a speaker and consultant regarding the brain science of early childhood talking about Why Early Childhood Education Matters to Everyone. RSVP early! $25 at the door.
- Ken and Judy (KJ Farms) could use your help! Ken’s doctor presented a grim ultimatum: stop farming and vending at the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market or risk very serious health problems, such as being restricted to a wheelchair. For the last 15 years, Ken and Judy have been selling eggs at the Farmers’ Market. Their last market was on January 26. While bills are piling up and every-day needs are harder to meet, their sudden loss of income makes things insurmountably difficult. The Market community is really strong and we can help! Please lend a hand if you can and give a donation. If everyone pitches in even just a little, we can immeasurably make a very hard time a little easier. Click here to donate.
7Arts Gallery will host “Artwork Within”, a solo show for local fine art painter Mary Jo Hatch with an opening reception Fri., Feb. 1, 2019 from 5-7pm. “Artwork Within” will feature works in oil whose main subject matter is houseplants painted in both intimate interiors and garden settings. 125 Lincoln Ave. Show runs thru Feb. 28
Cool Writing Workshops
Soul Craft – An Online Writing Workshop for Life, Business & Inspiration
If you want a more engaged life, a more successful business, or to become a more inspired (and inspiring) version of yourself…WRITE! Award-winning author and writing coach Kelly Madrone is offering a new online group designed to hone your writing skills and connect you with your undiscovered passion. www.kellymadrone.com/write-now. Marketing can annoy the heck out of people, but it doesn’t have to! Grow your business with soul. Learn how to use blogs, newsletters, articles, and other creative content to cultivate not just customers or clients, but community. www.kellymadrone.com/blogging-for-business
Write for Your Life! A Winter Writing Workshop for 6 Thursdays in Feb/Mar
Juice up your creativity and jumpstart your writing in this small-group lively workshop based on the acclaimed Amherst Writers & Artists method. Together we foster a community of support enabling you to write freely and go deep: writing in response to suggested prompts, building trust in your unique voice, receiving feedback on what’s strong in your first-draft writing. We will also make time for manuscript review with balanced feedback, if requested. All are welcome: beginners, those beginning again, and experienced writers. We meet in a comfortable home near downtown Santa Fe. 6 Thursdays: Feb.21 – Mar. 28, 4 – 6:30 or 7 pm. For more information or to register: joannebrown.com or contact Joanne Fay Brown 510-381-1205.
P.S. This is a sponsored section. If you’re interested in running an ad here let me know.
If you have something you want to post to the Cool List regarding a non-profit in Santa Fe Email me & I’ll be happy to share for free. If you have something you’d like to post regarding your for-profit business, service or event, I’ll be happy to share for a small fee. Email me for details.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!