Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please forward it to a friend if you like it.
Guns to Garden Tools (For Sale)
New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence (NMPGV) wants to take the thousands of unwanted working guns in New Mexico and turn them into shovels and spades for community gardens but they need your help. Would you like to buy one of these COOL Guns to Garden Tools?
They have had six gun buybacks & taken over 400 working firearms out of use & off the streets of NM. The last gun buyback in Las Cruces cost just over $20,000. NMPGV gives gift cards to local grocery stores, gas stations, Target, etc. but not cash, so people can’t go and buy another gun. The cost to buy guns is:
- $100 for a long gun or pistol
- $200 for semi-automatic handguns
- $250 for assault weapons
NMPGV pays artist/iron monger/forger, Tiago Rene Torres de Silva, $60 to make each tool. He has earned over $1,300 so far making Guns to Garden tools.
Wear Your GRACE at 125 E. Palace Ave. has the tools on display and sells them with 100% of the profits going to NMPGV. Call 505-780-5611 or stop by today and buy a garden tool (really a piece of art) in support of this wonderful program. The tools are a bit pricey but now you know why.
“Firearms are now used in the creation of something new, preventing the guns use for violence and creating a cycle of peace.”
Cool Picks for the Week
- RSVP for Santa Fe Women to Women Luncheon Wed. Oct. 10 at noon at Cowgirl with Guest Speaker Debra Ehrhardt talking about “From the Jamaican Page to the Hollywood Stage”. Debra is in town for her one-woman show on Thurs. Oct. 11. (see more info below). $25 cash at the door. Click here to RSVP.
- Back to the ’80s – Shipwrecked Productions presents a DJ dance party with all the ’80s hits you’ve been missing. It’s for ages 13 and up, because it’s never too early to get your teen into truly good music. Bring snacks or drinks to share—but no smoking or alcohol. The Studio, 332 Camino Del Monte Sol, Sat, Sep 29 at 7pm
- Journeysantafe: The founders of Retake Our Democracy, Paul Gibson and Roxanne Barber, present their findings from a 70-day, 24-city road trip wherein they met with leaders, innovators and social pioneers who had initiated and sustained projects and programs that advanced social, racial, and or climate justice.
Collected Works Bookstore and Coffeehouse, 202 Galisteo St. Sun. Sept. 30 at 11 am
- Volunteers Needed at Santa Fe Farmers Market Fall Fiesta on October 6. Contact Carrie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-983-7726 for more information.
- Register Now for Paul Selig’s Beyond the Known: A Channeled Weekend Workshop in Santa Fe Sat, Oct 13th: 10 am – 4 pm thru Sun, Oct 14th: 10 am – 4 pm, Inn and Spa at Loretto, 211 Old Santa Fe Trail – click here for more info
- Here From Hollywood for One Night Only – Cock Tales: Shame on Me! Ticket includes Dinner & One Woman Show with Actress/Playwright, Debra Ehrhardt Thurs. Oct. 11. Click here for tickets. Seating Limited
- With October, Domestic Violence Month, Healing Voices – Personal Stories based here in Santa Fe is available to make presentations to groups around the community. Their mission is to raise awareness of domestic violence by sharing stories of survivors. The 7 films they have created have been in film festivals from coast to coast. To arrange for a presentation please contact president and filmmaker JoAnne Tucker at email@example.com. To learn more about our organization visit https://www.hv-ps.org
Art Opening: “Cheri’s Kids” – Come Meet the Artist at Cheri O’Brien Fine Art Gallery to Benefit Girls Inc.
Narrative artist Cheri O’Brien has been painting children’s portraits for several years in oil and acrylic paint. These portraits show O’Brien’s interpretation of small children, dreamy, optimistic but somewhat skeptical or wary of this adult world. Ms. O’Brien will be donating 10% of sales to Girls Inc. of Santa Fe.
Opening Fri, Sept 28th, 5-7pm
Cheri O’Brien Fine Art Gallery
618 Canyon Road, Santa Fe.
Show runs through October 22
Gallery hours Thursday – Monday 11am-4pm.
For more info contact Cheri O’Brien at 425-308-2061
If you have something you want to post to the Cool List regarding a non-profit in Santa Fe Email me & I’ll be happy to share for free. If you have something you’d like to post regarding your for-profit business, service or event, I’ll be happy to share for a small fee. Email me for details.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!