Welcome to the Cool List, my blog about cool things happening in Santa Fe. Please share.
Sunrise in Santa Fe
Cool Pick of the Week:
Irish American Writers and Artists Salon
Irish and Irish-American poetry, music and literature, for those who are in the know, are gloriously dark, abundantly rich genres apt for mining. The Irish American Writers and Artists, a New York-based nonprofit founded by Malachy McCourt, hosts its first salon in Santa Fe with writers Lawrence Welsh, Anne Valley-Fox, Argos MacCallum, and tons more. Sat, Sep. 23 at 6:00pm, Teatro Paraguas, 3205 Calle Marie Santa Fe, NM ph. 424-1601. Free admission with donations gratefully accepted.
Cool Posts You’ve Shared:
- New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence (NMPGV) is inviting you to a free event that celebrates life over death, love over hate, and art over guns. Come and join NMPGV and watch a gun forged into a gardening tool right before your very eyes by RAWTools. Get inspired while award-winning poet Jimmy Santiago Baca reads his radical and fiery poetry. Then get your groove on to the awesome music of Eileen and the In-betweens. See art made from guns through our Guns to Gardens program by our very own internationally renowned sculptor Jeremy Thomas and by SFCC art and welding students. Coats made out of gun parts by Sarah Nolan of Singular Couture will be on display. Special guest speakers include: Santa Fe Mayor Gonzales, Valerie Plame, Warren Montoya from Rezonate Art and Jill Benjamin. Oct. 7th 5:30 -7 P.M. at CCA Email Miranda Viscoli for info
- Karen K. Milstein, PhD, LISW will be leading the workshop “The Interface of Art and Mental Health. What We Contain, What Contains Us – How We Can Grow Ourselves”, Sept. 26, 6:30-9pm, 125 Lincoln Ave. Pre-registration required. Contact Karen
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in Santa Fe is on Sat. Oct. 7 raises money for breast cancer research and patient support services. Here’s their website: www.makingstrideswalk.org/SantaFeNM Questions? email Jessica Duncan
- The True Story of Fake News: A look into the long and sordid history of fake news, who makes it, who profits from it, and what we can do about it. A fundraiser for the New Mexico Environmental Law Center, October 7th, 6-7pm for VIP $100 tickets, or at 7:30-9pm $12-$35, at the Lensic.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters is looking for sponsors and auction donors for their upcoming Golden Ticket Gala coming up on Oct. 7th. Contact Stacy Fischer for more info
- New Mexico PBS, KNME, Ch-5 will broadcast the oral history documentary by SF Women2Women member, Shebana Coelho titled Nasario Remembers the Río Puerco, about the acclaimed New Mexico Folklorist, on Oct. 12 at 7pm within Hispanic Heritage month. The film will also have two free preview screenings: Oct. 4 at 7 pm at the South Broadway Cultural Center in Albuquerque and Oct. 5 at 6 pm at the New Mexico History Museum in Santa Fe.
- Looking for Volunteers and Sponsors for the Fall 2017 Santa Fe Expanding Your Horizons Conference that will take place on Saturday October 21, 2017 at Santa Fe Community College. They are expecting 200 girls from Santa Fe and Northern NM, their biggest one yet! Expanding Your Horizons Conference is a dynamic conference to encourage girls in 5th-8th grade to consider careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) by providing women STEM role models and hands-on workshops. Contact Lina Germann if interested.
Happy First Day of Fall
Have something you want to post to the Cool List? Email me & I’ll be happy to share.
Please forward this onto your friends in Santa Fe and ask them to Sign Up for my emails! Thank you!!